One Meal: Stuffed Grapefruit, Tuna & Grapefruit Salad, Grilled Chicken


I make my meals kid-friendly so I won't need to cook different dishes for each of us.  A 1-year old cannot really eat everything that adults eat whereas a 5-year old has less limitations.  I abide by our kitchen rule which is to avoid frying.  With that in mind, I grill most of the time.  It's healthier and tastes better. 



This tuna & grapefruit salad pretty much reminds me of the tuna sandwich spread my mom used to make when I was little, minus the grapefruit.  Instead of the grapefruit, she would put some minced onions.  I love the combination of tuna and onions but now that I am an adult, I am more considerate of the people around me after I eat it, my husband as the number one on the list.  When I intend to eat any tuna-onion mixture, I am sure to find him a mile away from me in the house.  So a grapefruit substitute solves this problem.  


You can spread this on a piece of bread or cracker along with the meal or just eat it as is.


I have to add that whenever I prepare our meals, I usually create a kiddie version for my 5-year old.  First, to make his meals fun.  Second, to make him interested in eating more.  And third, it's my way of showing how important he is to me because I spend more time in creating shapes for him.  In turn, he builds up Lego pieces using his imagination too.




Stuffed Grapefruit

Ingredients:
  • grapefruit, 1 per person
  • 1 bulb fennel, 1/2 per person
  • arugula (rocket), about a handful per person
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • salt
Directions:
Preparing the grapefruit:
Cut the top part of the grapefruit.  Set aside.  Carve out the pulp of the lower part with a knife & extricate the pulp with the help of a melon baller or spoon.  Separate the pulp from the skin and chop them to small pieces.  Save the grapefruit juice for later. 

Preparing the filling:
Chop the fennel & arugula to bite sizes.  Mix them together along with the chopped pulp of the grapefruit.  Pour the juice in the mixture.  Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.  Season with salt.  Transfer this filling to empty grapefruits.

Tuna and Grapefruit Salad

Ingredients:
  • 80 grams can of tuna soaked in olive oil, drained
  • leftover grapefruit pulp from the stuffed grapefruit recipe
  • salt & pepper
  • mayonnaise, depending on your taste
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together.  


Grilled Chicken

Ingredients:
  • 1 or 2 slices of chicken fillet per person
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • salt (I used black salt)
  • blood orange, 1/2 or less per person 
Directions:
  1. Grill the chicken on a stove-top grill.  
  2. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil & sprinkle with salt before serving.  
  3. I served the chicken with a slice of blood orange on top that's also drizzled with extra virgin olive oil & salt.  The combination was good.