Chocolate Covered Strawberries


It's quite early for the strawberry period but I coudn't resist staring at them when they were all piled up in the fruit section of the supermarket.  It doesn't make one wonder that these very early birds are out because of Valentine's Day.  I was going to pass buying them this time because I recently bought some "no-season" Spanish ones that are almost always insipid when I happened to see boxes of smaller & less noticeable strawberries.  They come from Terracina, center-south of Italy.   Now that's something to mull over.  I didn't need so much time because five minutes after, my daughter's stroller was lugging 4 boxes of strawberries, a kilo in all.  Now to the next door Lindt to buy the chocolate to cover the strawberries with.



When you're inside a chocolate shop, you're a child all over again.  The Lindt shop is a gigantic place with its own gelateria (ice cream shop), bar serving all kinds of chocolate drinks and endless rows with mountains of candies and chocolates.  Before I reached the area of chocolates for cooking, I already had other stuff in my hands.  Sigh.  I can never get out of this place buying just what I came for.  Well, it's Valentine's.  There's no other reason to splurge on calories. 



Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Ingredients:
  • strawberries still with the green caps, as much as you want
  • chocolate 
Directions:
  1. Doing this is quite easy.  Wash & dry strawberries.  Pat them dry with kitchen paper towels.  
  2. There are two ways to melt the chocolate.  You can melt it in the microwave with the defrost setting or in a bain marie.  
  3. When the chocolate is melted, dip the strawberries by holding on to the stem or leaves, shake them lightly to get rid of the excess chocolate & twirling it around to avoid dribbles.  
  4. Lay them on a baking pan or plate covered with wax paper.  Let cool & dry.