Bresaola With Rucola and Parmigiano Reggiano Flake Rolls


Bresaola is an air-dried salted beef that has been aged two to three months that originated from the Northern region of Italy.  The only way I eat it is with rucola, Parmigiano Reggiano flakes, lemon and extra virgin olive oil.   It's a classic.  Nine out of ten Italians eat this.  One of the first Italian dishes I had loved when I first arrived here was beef and veal carpaccio (thinly sliced raw meat) served the same way as the bresaola minus the rucola.  I stopped eating carpaccio when the mad cow disease sprung out again.  Then I found a good and much safer alternative in bresaola plus I get to enjoy it with rucola which is one salad I am crazy about. 


Normally, you just layer the bresaola, rucola and Parmigiano Reggiano flakes on the plate, drizzle it with extra virgin olive oil & lemon.  This time, I wanted to give myself a harder time by making rolls instead.  A plate I normally compose in 5 minutes took me three times more time and effort.  Well at least for a change, it's not the usual boring old bresaola plate.   
 
I was able to make 6 rolls out of 3 slices of bresaola that I cut in the middle.  The amount depends on how much you would be eating or serving.  Just to give an idea, 6 rolls are not so filling so you have to accompany them with something else.  


Bresaola With Rucola and Parmigiano Reggiano Flake Rolls

Ingredients:
Serves 2
  • 6 slices bresaola, sliced in the middle
  • Parmigiano Reggiano flakes, shaved with a peeler
  • Handful of rucola or rocket, torn
  • 1 lemon
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt
Directions:
  1. In a bowl, dress the rucola with extra virgin olive oil, lemon and little salt.  Remember that bresaola is already salty so don't add too much salt.  Set aside. 
  2. Slice the bresaola in the middle. 
  3. Prepare the rolls.  Lay flat one half-size bresaola on a plate.  Put some rucola and Parmigiano Reggiano flakes.  Roll.  Do the same thing to the rest of the ingredients. 
  4. Put the rolls on a bed of dressed rucola. 
  5. Drizzle the rolls with lemon and extra virgin olive oil before serving.